RE: Oracle recovery

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 08:46:54 -0400

Rachel,

        And how many thousands of $$$???

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

-----Original Message-----
From: Rachel Carmichael [mailto:wisernet100_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:02 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle recovery

>From practical experience (unfortunately):

database exports taken once a day, not in consistent mode. Exports taken around 6AM.

DB crash HARD at 5PM. Cannot open database, redo logs corrupted, nothing we did (even with Oracle support on the line) could open the database. Not "resetlogs", not editing the control file. Nothing.

We needed to get Field Support in to mine the data files using data unloader because when push came to shove, senior management decided it was "unacceptable" to lose a day's worth of sales (they didn't realize this beforehand? Yes, I kept telling them but they had one tape drive and didn't want to allocate it to me)

It took FORTY-EIGHT HOURS before we were back up and running.

Rachel

=09

        =09

Do you Yahoo!?