RE: BROKEN_PIPE from Weblogic

From: Jeff Herrick <jherrick_at_igs.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:44:30 -0800

I don't think it's accurate to say that NET8 isn't involved when you're talking directly to the listener =8-) More correctly you are eliminating the NET8 client DLL's...but you could still have the connections dropping due to transient network failures.

I have a particular problem with CISCO switches and TRU64 Alpha boxes in my environment. JDBC thick connections drop but because they are 'thick' I get a SQLNET.LOG file on the client that shows a TNS-12203 (unable to connect to destination) error. Other apps like Maximo report an ORA-3113 but also show the TNS-12203 error in their sqlnet.log files. When I do a level 16 listener trace I can see the connection being closed (read() error) but I've never been able to figure out why =8-(

The only thing that moderates the problem is to make sure that the Alpha is set to 100MB/Full Duplex instead of auto-detect as well as hard-coding these values on the switch port. Ditto for the NT app servers. "friends don't let friends auto-negotiate" =8-)

But I still see periodic TNS-12203's ....just less of them

Try doing a level 16 trace from the listner end.

Jeff Herrick

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:

> Agreed. By the way, since my original posting, this error has occurred
> several more times.
> Yes, it is a catch-all error that sounds a lot like an ORA-3113. Since
> they using the Oracle thin JDBC driver, which talks directly to the
> listener, Net8 isn't involved. If the server is shut down or crashes,
> apparently this error is also returned, like an ORA-3113. But the server
> hasn't crashed or shut down.

[snip]

Author: Jeff Herrick
  INET: jherrick_at_igs.net