RE: Temp Tablespace

From: Guang Mei <gmei_at_incyte.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:44:24 -0800

RE: SAME and separating disk and index tablespacesHi:

I had this situation last month and I finally bounced the db. "drop tablespace temp INCLUDING CONTENTS" might work if you want to wait long enough. I tried this and the db just hang for 30 min before I killed it. My temp ts was 10G.

Here is a copy of an old email I sent to the list last month:

Yes, you are right, I should have looked at ts# = 2. BTW, I tried several ways to resolve this issue by doing these and none of them worked,

  1. alter tablespace temp default storage(pctincrease 0); -- a tip from Steve Adam's site
  2. alter session set events 'immediate trace name DROP_SEGMENTS level 3';
  3. oradebug wakeup 6; -- 6 is sid for SMON process
  4. Create a small table with a primary key constraint then drop the constraint. Iwas hoping that shadow process will change the associated index to a temporary segment and post smon to clear it up.
  5. create a large table that will fail:

CREATE TABLE junk ( c1 varchar2(1) ) tablespace DATA storage ( initial 2000M next 2000M) ;

Finally I had to bounce the instance, that cleared up the segment in temp tablespace, so that it could be dropped.

Guang

Author: zhu chao

INET: chao_ping_at_vip.163.com

Author: Guang Mei