RE: OFA myths was Re: BAARF

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:14:40 -0800

Not commenting on the accuracy of the information, but Kevin Loney, in the Oracle8 DBA Handbook (1998), says the following (Chapter 3 Logical Database Layouts), in a section entitled "The Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA)" "Index segments should not be stored in the same tablespace as their associated tables, since they have a great deal of concurreint I/O during both manipulation and queries. Index segments are also subject to fragmentation due to improper sizing or unpredicted table growth. Isolating the application indexes to a separate tablespace greatly reduces the administrative efforts involved in defragmenting either the DATA or the INDEXES tablespace."

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com