"extra" thread with SQL*Net DCD turned on

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:35:00 -0800

For the past 1.5 years, starting at Oracle 8.1.7.3.2 and now 8.1.7.4.10 on windows; we have encountered a problem wherein we encounter a runaway thread during patching of Oracle Applications 11i. This thread is not know to v$session and orakill will not terminate it. The only solution has been stop the database and service.

Recently, following implementation of HRMS F and its prerequisites (including FND G), the runaway thread problem mutated to a major thread leakage. In our dev/test instances, with the above patches installed, we would hit 1000 threads assigned to oracle.exe per task manager!!!!

After a long ODC session with support and continuously monitoring of the threads, it appeared that the "extra" thread created for each connection was not always being terminated. You get two threads per connect of which one appears to be for DCD. Friday, we turned off ODC in test and appear stable. We are now trying in dev to confirm this may be a solution. If so, we will turn it off in production and implement the patches.

Does anyone have similar problems with DCD. We had seen some bugs on this but they were with 8.1.7.2.x. During our ODC session, we asked about known bugs and there were none.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
(216) 781-4204

Author: Jeffrey Beckstrom
  INET: JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org