RE: Hiding passwords

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:44:49 -0800

there is no command.com equivalent for this: MY_PASSWORD=$(pwc.pl -instance dv01 -username scott)

Simple in ksh, impossible in un-enhanced Windohs.

That previous bit is something I use in several cron jobs for retrieving passwords,
as well as command line logins to several databases as many different users.

To do this in Windohs, you must embed the entire job in Perl.

HTH Jared

Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 09/23/2003 03:29 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Hiding passwords

I don't quite get that. Why can't you set a local environment variable from
a script? If you could, where do you propose to get the value that you want
to put into an environment variable?

At 01:59 PM 9/23/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Paul,
>
>Any chance these scripts could be run from Cygwin, Uwin, MKS Toolkit,
>or anything that will let you use a korn shell?
>
>That would simplify things tremendously.
>
>One of the problems with Windohs is that you cannot execute a script
>or program so that it can return a value to a local environment variable.
>
>That ability would make this task simple from command.com.
>
>Another possibility is to put your passwords in the registry, restrict
that
>portion of the registry, ( or the whole thing ), and use a Perl script to

>retrieve
>the passwords and kick off the other jobs.
>
>What I do in linux is use a password server ( as seen in "Perl for Oracle

>DBA's")
>and retrieve the password across the network, encrypted of course.
>
>This works on windows as well, though you're there restricted to doing
this
>strictly from within the Perl script.
>
>Jared

Wolfgang Breitling