Re: What is a large database?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:39:50 -0800

> Surpising enough the write cache on the disk array was set to 0 and 100% for
> the read cache on this particular
> RAID 5 system which does lots of small writes for the application making
> things even worse.

Hehehe! Can never win, eh? :)

> The DBA also sugested "but the BCHR is 99.7% which means that blah , blah ,
> blah and in Oracle terms performance is very good".

Ah yes, the ratios! How much longer is that one gonna linger...

> Another thing that came up in my furious conversation with them was "but the
> disks has enough capacity blah blah blah,
> why do we need additional disks".

but, isn't a 256Gb disk faster than an 80Gb disk anyway? It's what the hardware vendor told me!....

> No offense to any Oracle DBA in Australia as we all know there are some
> excellent DBA's here like Connor, Steve,
> Mark Gurry, Guy Harrison, Nuno Sunto, Howard Rogers, etc, etc....

I dunno about the others and I certainly don't consider myself excellent. But I suspect most will agree with me: given the poor standard of DBAs in Australia, I'd rather not be associated with that title, thank you very much.

<minor rant>
Is it too much to ask to have my name spelled properly? Or am I being singled out for any particular reason? </minor rant>

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au

Author: Nuno Souto