RE: Migrating from ONAMES to OID

From: Lord David <DLord_at_ironmountain.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:39:47 -0800

We recently wanted to use OiD for sign-on to a new app. I asked Oracle about the licencing and they said it was *only* available as part of IAS, even when used as a replacement for ONAMES. I didn't entirely believe the answer, so I asked again, and got the same reply. Since the app does not need the rest of IAS, it was a non-starter.

Also, OiD, like Active Directory, is very much non-standard LDAP. We went with OpenLDAP (free but flakey on windows) on unix and Sun directory server (a lot cheaper than IAS) on windows and large unix installations.

--
David Lord

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the author's addressee only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error. Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. Steps have been taken to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, but advise the recipient to ensure they are actually virus free. The views, opinions and judgments expressed in this message are solely those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by Iron Mountain. *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Lord David INET: DLord_at_ironmountain.co.uk Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).