Re: How do we know that an index need to be rebuilt.

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 00:04:40 -0800

There is a Metalink note 77574.1 entitled "Guidelines on When to Rebuild a B- Tree Index" which explains how to use "validate structure" and index_stats table. It is far too scientific to ever put into the script. Explanation for the rule of thumb is simple: if number of index blocks is big that means that the number of deleted entries is likely to be big, so let's rebuild it. As I said, rebuilding indexes is not often necessary and is usually done for all the wrong reasons. Quality of the rule of thumb, therefore, doesn't really matter.

On 2003.09.22 03:19, Prem Khanna J wrote:
> Read ur interesting reply for the query Mladen and learnt
> a new "rule of thumb" from u today.
>
> i sent the doc. to Raju ONLY adn NOT to the list.
> it's just the body of the mail u r seeing there.
>
> Regards,
> Jp.
>
> 22-09-2003 15:49:40, Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >Attachments are stripped from the list messages.
>
> >On 2003.09.22 02:24, Prem Khanna J wrote:
> >> Hi Raju,
> >> Check the doc. i have attached.

> Author: Prem Khanna J
> INET: jprem_at_kssnet.co.jp