Re: HELP: HD crashed, oracle get Error ORA-00205

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:44:47 -0800

How many control files you have? try to remove it from your initSID ora and start again. Try to remove one by one, if you have more than one controlfile. Otherwise restore it whole cold back up if you have.

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:44:41 -0800

Hello,
I am running oracle on Linux as my development server. Somehow, the hard drive
crashed last night. When I run fsck on the partition that has the oracle installation and oradata, it always failed with all kind of stuff
(Bad/Duplicate block, short read block, etc), so I assume fsck cannot fully
recovered my drive.

I however can mount it and read some data on in. Then I tried to logon as sysdba and issues startup, and I got the following error.

SQL> conn /as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 235999352 bytes

Fixed Size                   450680 bytes
Variable Size             201326592 bytes
Database Buffers           33554432 bytes
Redo Buffers                 667648 bytes
ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info

My question: is there any hope at all to recover all or partial of the data in
the database? Even if I have to redo oracle installation or re-create the tables, that's fine if I can just recover the data. What can I do? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

And no, I don't have backup. This is supposed to be development server and end
up becoming a semi production server. And no, we don't have a DBA either, and
I'm newbie on that area (I'm supposed to be a web developer). In a way I a sorta hope this incident becomes a lesson for the boss. <sigh>

Thanks a lot for any help.
RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja