HELP: HD crashed, oracle get Error ORA-00205

From: Reuben D. Budiardja <techlist_at_voyager.phys.utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:44:41 -0800

Hello,
I am running oracle on Linux as my development server. Somehow, the hard drive crashed last night. When I run fsck on the partition that has the oracle installation and oradata, it always failed with all kind of stuff (Bad/Duplicate block, short read block, etc), so I assume fsck cannot fully recovered my drive.

I however can mount it and read some data on in. Then I tried to logon as sysdba and issues startup, and I got the following error.

SQL> conn /as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 235999352 bytes

Fixed Size                   450680 bytes
Variable Size             201326592 bytes
Database Buffers           33554432 bytes
Redo Buffers                 667648 bytes
ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info

My question: is there any hope at all to recover all or partial of the data in the database? Even if I have to redo oracle installation or re-create the tables, that's fine if I can just recover the data. What can I do? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

And no, I don't have backup. This is supposed to be development server and end up becoming a semi production server. And no, we don't have a DBA either, and I'm newbie on that area (I'm supposed to be a web developer). In a way I a sorta hope this incident becomes a lesson for the boss. <sigh>

Thanks a lot for any help.
RDB
--

Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML \ / email and proprietary format
 X attachments.
/ \

Have you been used by Microsoft today?
Choose your life. Choose freedom.
Choose LINUX.

Author: Reuben D. Budiardja
  INET: techlist_at_voyager.phys.utk.edu
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Sep 18 2003 - 10:44:41 CDT