Re: spurious threads

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:39:53 -0800

Tried it a number of times.

Lately Oracle has us run a MS utility to take "hang dump" but no answers so far.

>>> "Tanel Poder" <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee> 9/18/03 9:17:17 AM >>>

Well, have you tried it?

In my understanding orakill is actually an OS thread killer written by Oracle, it just searches the appropriate oracle.exe based on SID and kills the thread with OS thread id in it. It does not log on to Oracle to check whether Oracle knows anything about this thread or not, it just simply kills the thread with id you provide and that's it.

Tanel.

We know the thread id from running pslist from sysinternals.com. Orakill will not kill it probably since doesn't think it really exists.

>>> tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee 9/18/03 9:49:41 AM >>>

Hi!

Orakill is able to kill threads based on thread id. But since you can't find out the "runaway" thread id-s from v$process, you could find all thread id-s in oracle.exe, minus those spids which exist in v$process and kill those. But I definitely recommend to turn to support first, because killing threads that way isn't a nice thing to do in production system and might be good enough only for temporary workaround, not for continous usage.

Tanel.
Author: Jeffrey Beckstrom
  INET: JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org