Re: tunning an index built

From: Craig Munday <cmunday_at_bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:39:45 -0800

Hi,

How many CPUs do you have on your machine? I assume not 32 - perhaps reducing the degree of parallelism might help (less is sometimes more).

How much memory do you have on your machine? I suggest fixing your virtual memory paging problem first - do this by resizing areas like the buffer cache and sort_area_size (did you set sort_area_size in the init.ora? remember that every dedicated server will allocate the sort_area_size in the PGA - perhaps this might have something to do with the virtual memory paging).

Also, if on the off chance that you know the rows are already sorted within the table - that is, you have just completed a load or something similar, you could use the NOSORT option to avoid Oracle doing the sort and using the temporary segment. The documentation says that an error will be thrown if the tables are not sorted on the indexed column. I haven't tried this myself but would be interested in hearing any feedback if you can take advantage of it.

Also if you change your sort_area_size you also need to ensure that your extent sizes in your temporary segments are a multiple of the sort_area_size you specified.

Have you allocated enough space for your index prior to doing the build?

Regards,
Craig.

Author: Craig Munday
  INET: cmunday_at_bigpond.net.au