Unix Security PSA

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:34:43 -0800

Hello gang,

I usually wouldn't muck around with stuff like this on an Oracle list, but there's two major security vulnerabilities out in the last few days for *nix boxen that create remote root exploitable situations. One is with OpenSSH:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2003-0693

Basically, all versions before 3.7 have a remotely exploitable buffer overflow - I am unsure whether exploits have been seen in the wild.

The other is with sendmail:

http://www.sendmail.org/8.12.10.html

while this is a remotely exploitable situation, no known exploits exist in the wild (yet).

I know just about every vendor has ssh patches already - the sendmail one may be a bit too new for vendor-supplied patches, but give them a call and start haranguing them.

I promise, I'll avoid this in the future, but hopefully some of y'all will get your SAs to patch up your servers.

Good luck,
Matt

--

Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

Author: Matthew Zito
  INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 17:34:43 CDT