RE: Checking RMAN backup results

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:19:40 -0800

 Alghough I use the RMAN catalog and so backup success/failure can be seen from there. I find it easiest to write out a log of the entire backup process in my "calling" script to a specific directory /dblogs/backups

All my backup scripts are written their with date/timestamp in the name along with database name.

At the end of the backup I parse out the word "SUCCESS" or "FAILURE" with the same Unix commands and sent mails.

Eventually I want to write a process that looks at the logs for all the backups for a particular date which I will run each night and sends a comprehensive list which would be compared against a list of all the databases I administer.

I have written the scripts to basically run just passing parameters - so I utilize the same stored scripts, I have uniquely named "call scripts" which only pass database name.

Then I run some basic rman "call" scripts for various types of backups. Everything has been running like a charm for years now and this approach has made it very easy to support multiple catalogs in one database or multiple rcat catalogs.

If you would like I could send you some examples. I know others have posted their rman stuff which I keep telling myself I will have time to look at. Probably some along the same lines.

Author: Bruce A. Bergman
  INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com

  INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us