RE: IOUG April 18-22, Toronto

From: Karniotis, Stephen <Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:39:47 -0800

OK. Lots of great replies to my email. Instead of replying to each one, here is a complete reply to everyone:

  1. How basic? I teach a basics of relational database class for LOW level users. I teach a basics of SQL class. THAT basic? April Wells SPK ==> The answer is yes. Too many presentations focus on advanced topics. I believe we need more basic SQL instruction, especially for folks new to the whims of the Oracle optimizer.
  2. We are currently working on conversion of 8.1.6 to 9.2.0.4. I come up with the idea to do the following: 1) create new 9i database using LMT ASSM etc. 2) use DataBee tool to create script to define all tables. 3) change the create script so each table will go into its place into the new database. 4) do import of table data only with ignore=y indexes=no constraint=no. 5) do import with rows=no to recreate all index, constraint etc. 6) new 9i database with all the new goodies working. Do you think that this is a good topic for presentation? Yechiel Adar

SPK ==> This is more of a process presentation and should be a good intro presentation. However, this may not cover the required hour. This could be a quick tip presentation or, if expanded, may qualify for a Technical Session. Expand your concept a bit to appear to a broader audience.

3. Saw your oracle-l posting and thought I'd email you. Are you looking for any presentations on RAC, Storage, or Linux? I'd love to present, but its hard for me to justify going to my CEO if the presentation I'd be giving
wouldn't be on one of our core competencies. Any suggestions would be welcome. Matthew Zito

SPK ==> This is a good presentation provided that is not a sales job on RAC or on your product. These must be technical presentations. Sorry to be harsh, but the reality is that several vendors have given presentations and they end up being sales presentations for their products. We yank them off the schedule, or remove them from voting entirely.

Does this help everyone understand what we are looking for? SUBMIT SUBMIT SUBMIT Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Technical Alliance Manager
Compuware Corporation

Direct:	(313) 227-4350
Mobile:	(248) 408-2918
Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: Karniotis, Stephen
  INET: Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com

Author: Karniotis, Stephen
  INET: Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 13:39:47 CDT