Re: c based external procedures vs. Java Stored Procedures

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 07:34:26 -0800

One thing you can do is bypass all of your security if you aren't careful. EXTPROC needs to run as some user other than Oracle (nobody for instance), otherwise you've just created a huge security breach.

There are other security implications as well. Even running as 'nobody', you need to ensure that the code is written in a secure manner.

As for why you would use them, there are probably more reasons than we can think of here. One that comes to mind is you have data that needs massaged by an algorithm in a purchased library. Rather than writing a whole app to deal with it, you write a wrapper for the purchased functionality and plug it into EXTPROC.

You can even do this with Perl. Works very well. :)

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com