RE: alter system reset

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:34:34 -0800

Is the want to read the spfile just a curiosity? One should not rely on either the init.ora or the spfile to determine which parameters are set, but should query the database.

Now that we have both init.ora and an spfile someone is going to get caught. For instance a patch requirement requires 150 MB shared_pool and java_pool sizes and warns about an unrecoverable memory error if the pools are undersized. The person dutifully makes the changes to the init.ora and starts the database, but forgets that an spfile is being used with the database He then starts the patch and it fails with the unrecoverable memory error.

I would have been caught by this if my patchset installation procedure did not include "show parameter" to verify their settings.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU