RE: A basic replication question

From: Odland, Brad <Brad.Odland_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:39:32 -0800

Some issues to think about here:

Do they really need all the data from production? Or are they just saying that without any justification...

Do they know what questions they are going to ask? Or is this a fishing expedition.

Are they going to understand ad-hoc development will continue to not occur in production?

Do they understand the complexity and cost associated this what they are asking for?
And can they justify the resource requirements and cost with a ROI study?

Are these request coming from users or management?

Did someone recently go to some buiness intelligence conference?

Anyone download some sexy new query tool?

How many users is "quite a few"?

Frankly Walt I would be careful about opening that "ad-hoc" door. the next thing you will have is a real CF on your hands and lots of regrets.

I would aim for a data mart and extracting the information needed for specific uses that have actual business value. Charge them to give specific examples that are valuable to the company.

Unless of course this is a true vendor-customer relationship and they are going to pay actual money for this. Then sell away...If it is an internal "customer" then I would be cautious.

Having said that you can make a copy of the database during backups and use to create a new instance of the same db. We do that here. Catch is all that work and disk space goes unused. because the users "need" real time data access for thier ad-hoc activity and reports...

Brad O.

Author: Weaver, Walt
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

Author: Odland, Brad
  INET: Brad.Odland_at_qtiworld.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 03 2003 - 13:39:32 CDT