RE: Listener problem on one client computer

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:14:33 -0800

> The ports are the same, I've checked the tnsnames.ora files
> and copied &
> pasted the content of the box who work on the web server.
> Still same prob.
>
> How can I check if i can open the port? It's a Win2000 server.

To see if your Win2K server listens on port 1521 open MSDOS 'box' and type:

C:\>netstat -n

Among (many) other things you should see something of this sort:

Active Connections

  Proto Local Address Foreign Address State   TCP 192.168.200.38:1031 192.168.200.38:1521 ESTABLISHED   TCP 192.168.200.38:1521 192.168.200.38:1031 ESTABLISHED You could also check contents of LISTENER.ORA file as it should list host name, protocol and listening port.

You've mentioned that your problem is inability to acces database from the web server. Normally web server should be sitting in "insulated" DMZ environmemt, and there *should* be a firewall betweeen database and your web server. May be that's the part you are not aware of and/or not under your control, or it might happen that somebody changed firewall rules leaving your SQL*Net sessions on "dry".

If you do have DMZ, you should either have "SQL*Net aware" firewall or you could force Oracle to use static port (look for Metalink Note: 66382.1) as normally SQL*Net ports are dynamically negotiated, and only initial connection negotiation starts on port 1521.

Branimir

Author: Branimir Petrovic
  INET: BranimirP_at_cpas.com