RE: Agnostic references for Oracle v SQl Server 2000

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:02:44 -0800

Ditto on PostgreSQL. I'm doing some benchmark testing and PostgreSQL performs quite well in comparison to MySQL with the InnoDB table type. In my artificial tests PostgreSQL is faster that MySQL (with InnoDB). Oracle 9.2 is about twice as fast as PostgreSQL when I crank up the number of concurrent sessions. Another positive for PostgreSQL... it's quite portable to/from Oracle as regards datatype and data and string functions. MySQL doesn't pass for me because it is feature poor and can't do subqueries, unions, views etc.

PostgreSQL is easy to administer so you should be able to set it up where admin is not an issue.

Steve Orr

Author: ltiu
  INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca

Author: Orr, Steve