Re: Reorganizing a database

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:27:56 -0400

I've done something similar in the past (move a database to a new machi= ne
and go to uniform extents). I didn't find any quick and easy methodolo= gy.

Basically you have to pre-create the tablespaces where you want them an= d
with the storage parameters that you want.

Then import the database to an INDEX_FILE. The table creation statemen= ts
will be there but they will be remarked out. Edit each table to remove=

it's storage parameters (so that it will inherit its tablespace's defau= lts)
and run those statements to pre-create the tables where and how you wan= t
them.

Then do the import with ignore=3Dy but indexes=3Dn.

Edit the indexes from the INDEX_FILE to remove the storage parameters a= nd
create the indexes.

HTH

                                                                       =

=20
"Brooks, =
=20
Russ" To: Multiple recipients of= list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> =20 <Russ.Brooks cc: =
=20
@dayzim.com> Subject: Reorganizing a da= tabase =20 Sent by: root =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
09/10/2002 =
=20
11:43 AM =
=20
Please =
=20
respond to =
=20
ORACLE-L =
=20
=
=20
=
=20

Hi,
=A0 We are creating a 45GB database from a restore of a current system= .=A0 My
boss has requested that I reorganize the entire new database.=A0 I hav= e my
doubts that this will provide as much benefit as he seems to expect, b= ut
they are adamant that this is what they want.=A0 One of the desired ef= fects
is to resize all the datafiles to uniform sizes and distribute some I/= O.
I'm thinking of using a full export as the base of this activity, splitting the export.=A0 This will be done on an HP L class with 2 500= MHz
processors and 3 GB of memory.
=A0 What is the best way of accomplishing this as quickly and painless= ly as
possible?=A0 I've looked through Metalink and various books without fi= nding
a good general procedure for changing the location and sizes of the datafiles during the import. Received on Tue Sep 10 2002 - 11:27:56 CDT