RE: Good DBA vs. Bad DBA

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 07:38:44 -0800

Hmmm...

I got my first job in "Data Processing" (15 years ago! eek!) from a fellow tech student (albeit he was a "returning student") who left school after 1 year because he became a DBA at this DEC DBMS (hierarchical) shop. He was my co-worker, technical supervisor, and mentor. Even the green novice idiot I was, I left that job after two years because I couldn't take any more ^%$@ from our non-technical boss, who was Manager of Tax and Information Systems. My mentor left shortly afterwards for a company that created a department for him. From there, he partnered with another guy to create what became the largest independent company for it's business in the state in just a few short years.

What this guy doesn't know about his job/company/business, he learns. When he makes a mistake, he admits it and learns from it.

Sounds easy enough, don't it? :)

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com