Re:Migration from HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11 and Oracle 7.3.4 t

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:51:51 EDT

Hi Dick
Thanks for response. It is again HP K class machine and we shall go with 32Bit. As size of database does not all export option we have to move datafiles to new server with HP-UX 11. Meanwhile we shall do some reorg before moving.
Have a nice weekend.
Regards
Rafiq

From: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To: "Mohammad Rafiq" <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>, Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Subject: Re:Migration from HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11 and Oracle 7.3.4 t Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:06:38 -0400

Rafiq,

     It depends on whether your going to be on HP-UX 11 32 or 64 bit. HP-UX 10.2
was strictly 32 bit, but HP-UX 11 gives you a choice, somewhat dependent on the
hardware. If your remaining on older HP9000 E,G,K class machines then your stuck with 32 bit. If your headed for the newer L & N class then you have a choice (BTW: take 64 bit if it's available, it is faster).

Now, from an Oracle perspective, If your staying with 32 bit then the datafiles
are compatible & it's just a version upgrade. If it's 64 bit, then an export,
database rebuild & import will be required. BUT, since you state that your headed for new hardware (of whatever flavor) in the first place, this is an optimum time for a little house cleaning so take it. Golden opportunities like
this are few & far between.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Migration from HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11 and Oracle 7.3.4 to 8 Author: "Mohammad Rafiq" <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com> Date: 8/17/00 12:17 PM

Hi Gurus

I need expert guidance for our future move to HP-UX 11 from HP-UX 10.20.

Existing setup:
Platform HP
HP-UX 10.20
Oracle 7.3.4.5
Oracle Financials 10.7(Char) with Oracle Manufacturing/Bill Of Materials Customized forms(2.3) and reports(2.5)

Future Move:
Platform HP
New Machine
HP-UX 11
Oracle 8.1.6
Oracle Financials Release 11i
Conversion of Customized Forms & Reports to Forms/Reports 6i

Please advise your experience or opinion to carry out above migration smoothly as Oracle Support guidance is so far contradictory.

Regards
Rafiq

Author: Mohammad Rafiq
   INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com