Re: URGENT help - TNS error

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:05:12 -0400

> TNS-12560 TNS:protocol adapter error
> WinNT 4.0 - service pack not specified
> Oracle 8.1.6.0.0 (assumed)

start by patching it to 8.1.6.1.1, then apply the 8.1.6.1.2 patch. read the readme, as you'll have to run the usual scripts after each patch.

check the release notes for a similar error.

Of course, if you can't connect via svrmgrl or SQL*Plus, you won't be able to run catalog.sql.

Check you environment variable.
In the control panel >> System >> environment you should add the envirnment variable ORACLE_SID with a value of your SID. I had a similar error on an 8.1.6 - and ended up re-installing. Nice to have an export and full cold backup. I chose the export to recover from.

Paul