Re: Packages - for real or just gimmick?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 19:04:05 -0700

ds_lewis_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Oracle. I walked onto a contract job where they are
> just switching to Oracle and I'd like to help them get started off in
> the right direction.
>
> Do packages really provide something valuable from a design
> perspective? I've seen some example code but the descriptions have
> been somewhat vague as any actual benefits from using packages.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Targus

The biggest benefits to me are the following:

  1. Data/method hiding. It allows you to hide data (variables) and methods (procedures/functions) that are only needed by something else in the same package. You don't have to expose them to the world if it doesn't make sense to do so.
  2. You can recompile the body of the package, and not invalidate objects that depend on the package specifcation. The only time you invalidate dependent objects (requires recompilation) is when you recompile the specification.

HTH, Steve Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 21:04:05 CDT