certification

From: <GrahamJWalsh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2006 00:45:46 -0800

Hi,
I am a *reasonably* competant engineer when it comes to DB's but I am not expert. I can write stored procedures, do the basic SQL querying etc. However I am not an expert and I *need* to become expert quickly... I work freelance in finance. In order to jazz up my CV I am going to take certification in either sybase or oracle, however I'm not

sure if thats the right thing to do.

So... my question is this;

  1. Whats the best certification course to take for sybase/oracle. As a developer, not an administrator.
  2. I know this is a oracle group, but I'd like to know if it's better to take Sybase certification instead of oracle. I've been told that sybase is on the back-foot while oracle is making new inroads in terms or market share in the *finance sector*. Would people agree with that? If yes, whats the best oracle developer certication exam to take?
  3. I am assuming that "certification" in sybase or oracle is the best way to go in terms of impressing prospective employers. Is there another way to go .... apart from actually having the 10 years solid hands on experience. I mean, are there other training courses or tests that impress employers more than actual certification.

thanks much and have a nice day.

GrahamO Received on Tue Mar 07 2006 - 02:45:46 CST