Re: [SPAM] 10gR2 Upgrade .. Watch out

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:58:54 +1100

Quoting "Daniel W. Fink" <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>:

> If the result sets contain the same data, but are returned in a
> different order (without an explicit ORDER BY) between releases, I don't
> think that is a bug. You simply cannot rely on behaviour that you do not
> explicitly code to address.

and that is precisely why there are so many shops out there running very old releases of Oracle and no plans whatsoever to upgrade. Because what they have now works. And they are virtually assured by Oracle when they upgrade the rdbms, the blessed thing WILL break their applications.

Any wonder why it takes so long for the user community to adopt new releases of Oracle? QED.

What Oracle folks keep forgetting is that no one buys their product to look at it: the idea is to run applications and hopefully address business needs. If those break when an upgrade comes along, then they don't buy into the upgrade. Simple as that.

And why I keep banging on the real world anvil as opposed to the ideal one.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto