Re: [SPAM] 10gR2 Upgrade .. Watch out

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:04:03 +1100

Quoting Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>:

> As far as I'm concerned it merely exposes a bug in your application
> code, relying on group by to return the result set in a certain
> order. Just because it happens to work in some cases (here Oracle pre
> 10gR2) does not make it the default behaviour. It was just a side
> effect of an implementation detail. The default behaviour is that
> without the order by caluse Oracle can return the resultset in any
> order it darn well pleases, including in the group by order, but it
> doesn't have to. And Oracle warned all along not to rely on it.

as much as I might agree with this, the simple fact is that in the given example "a=20" doesn't work but "a between 20 and 20" works. If that is not the definition of a bug, I don't know what is.

While I might agree with canonical and "according to the book" approaches, I definitely do not agree with upgrades to databases showing such blatant disregard for anyone's applications.

It might be OK for Oracle to blame everyone in sight for the shortcomings of oracle's own documentation and software but that doesn't change the simple fact that 10gr2 is riddled with idiotic, annoying bugs like this one.

In an ideal world, every application would be a model of canonic obedience. Fact is: we don't live in one of those. For Oracle to go out of their way to make a particular release break running app code just to prove the point in their new doco is IMHO beyond ridiculous.

Just my $0.02...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto