RE: Plan_table cost column units

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:44:40 -0800

The latter ("some unrecognizable unit that only the CBO understands" - though there are probably some mortals that understand it also.) The CBO uses different "weights" for each method it considers, sums the weights for all the methods used in a particular execution plan (which will be the "cost"), and after trying different possibilities, it chooses the execution plan with the smallest total cost. The execution plan with the smallest total cost will also be the execution plan that runs fastest due to the excellence of the algorithm used by the Oracle database engine.