Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Error while passing Filename and path to Stored Procedure (Oracle 10 G, TOAD 8.5 and Unix server)
icon7.gif  Error while passing Filename and path to Stored Procedure [message #303648] Sat, 01 March 2008 09:28 Go to next message
vinaycdm
I am new to PL/SQL. please help me.

I have to debug certain stored procedures mounted on Unix server by using TOAD.

These stored procedure's job is to open a file, read the data line-by-line and then store them in tables.

In production, there are certain shell scripts which executes these stored procedures by passing the filename and path.

I want to pass the filename and file-path directly to the stored procedure from TOAD.

First, I gave my PC's path. It has thrown me an error.I know that is quite stupid but later I placed the file in the UNIX server (where the db resides) and gave the right path. Still it shows me 'INVALID PATH'.

In TOAD, debugger menu is disabled. I know iam quite short of rights.I also think that UTL_FILE packages rigths are also not given for me.May be that's why this error is thrown.

1) Could you pls tell me what rights i should posses inorder to perform the above operation.

2) How should i pass Unix file name and path?

3) How to overcome UTL_FILE errors?

Any small help is greatly appreciated.Thank u in advance.

Re: Error while passing Filename and path to Stored Procedure [message #303649 is a reply to message #303648] Sat, 01 March 2008 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
If it is indeed an permission problem :

Have you tried to run the procedure with the same oracle user that is used in the shell script? That would take care of 1) since, that user should have all rights that are needed.

Also, you have checked the shell script if perhaps the file is copied to some special location before processing takes place?

Aside from that the procedure call itself should be the same in toad as it is in the shell script. There is no standard way to pass a file name and path, that would depend on how the procedure is written.
Re: Error while passing Filename and path to Stored Procedure [message #303650 is a reply to message #303649] Sat, 01 March 2008 10:00 Go to previous message
vinaycdm
Thank you Thomas.

I haven't tried with the user name used in the script as it is connected to production.

Anyway i will check what rights this user has and will get the same permission.

The file is not copied from any location in the script rather the path and name is passed from the inital position.

I will check with the permissions first and come back.

Previous Topic: Disabling procedures and triggers
Next Topic: How to sum formated numeric values
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 11 18:16:04 CDT 2024