Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader
How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266336] Mon, 10 September 2007 10:34 Go to next message
kvignes1

Hi
Need to know how to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader while loading. We are using "position" to load data from flat file.(*.DAT)

Example
If I am gettin a value like this, image position(1:36).. this has to go to a staging table column "Name". I know I can use "trim" function which will trim right/left side. But how can i trim in the middle?? any advice pls.

'        STEVE           ROB         '

I want this value to store in a column like
'STEVE ROB'
is it possible in SQL Loader???

Pls advice.

[EDITED by LF - added [code] tags to improve readability and emphasize original poster's idea]

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2007 12:03] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266343 is a reply to message #266336] Mon, 10 September 2007 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
how can i trim in the middle??

Quote:
I want this value to store in a column like 'STEVE ROB'

How is this "trimmed in the middle"?

Regards
Michel
Re: How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266391 is a reply to message #266343] Mon, 10 September 2007 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kvignes1

Dont know , my client want to trim the spaces between those two names and populate it in a column... This has to be done while loading that data through SQL Loader.

Is there anyway, i can use regular expression to do it. I hope regular expression are available from oracle 10g. First of all is it possible to do in anyway??

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2007 13:20]

Re: How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266394 is a reply to message #266391] Mon, 10 September 2007 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is possible but your example does not show that you trim middle space.
You can use TRANSLATE function to remove all spaces.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2007 13:23]

Re: How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266407 is a reply to message #266336] Mon, 10 September 2007 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kvignes1

Thanks.
I am not sure whether TRANSLATE will help me. But I guess REPLACE will help me to some level. But when I use REPLACE, I am losing all Spaces b/w strings. Any idea how to retain single space b/w name??? Also Pl let me know how TRANSLATE help me to do it.if possible???

FYI, I may get data like this in the flat file POSITION (1:36)
Consider '_' as 'blank space'

'____________________STEVE________ROB_________'

'___________LEE____________LIANG______________'

So both records should be inserted into the staging table column as
'STEVE ROB'
'LEE LIANG'

when I use REPLACE, I am getting like this
'STEVEROB'
'LEELIANG'

Query:
SQL> Select replace(TRIM(' STEVE ROB '),' ','') FROM DUAL;

REPLACE(
--------
STEVEROB

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2007 15:05]

Re: How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266408 is a reply to message #266407] Mon, 10 September 2007 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You should have been clearer in the first post.
Have a look at: Replacing Multiple Blanks by single blanks in text

Regards
Michel
Re: How to trim spaces between strings in SQL Loader [message #266418 is a reply to message #266407] Mon, 10 September 2007 17:28 Go to previous message
ebrian
You could specify the following in your control file:

"trim(regexp_replace(:<column_name>, '[ ]{2,}', ' '))"
Previous Topic: tablespace import hangs
Next Topic: Size rquired for Export and Import of database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 22 22:34:24 CDT 2024