Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » uploading external files
uploading external files [message #240977] Mon, 28 May 2007 02:11 Go to next message
tarmenel
Hi there,

I'm looking for a way to upload a csv file into the database through a concurrent program. I've search on the net and come up with SQL*Loader and ctxload. Am I on the correct path? If so please could you send me some useful examples. I also want to check if its possible that the file is on a users local hard drive and then uploaded?? I need to find a way to get the csv from their hard drive to the server but using the application not raw SQL. I would like to create procedure that i can call from the application through a concurrent where they put in the location of the file on their machines and the procedure uploads the file into a temporary table.

Is this possible
Re: uploading external files [message #240989 is a reply to message #240977] Mon, 28 May 2007 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
SQL Loader is a possibility, but it means that the user must have the SQL*Loader executable on their PC - not a default component of the andministrator or network client install I don't think.

Externally Organisaed Tables are great for this sort of thing, but the file MUST be on the Oracle server.

A relatively simple mechanism is inserting via ODBC. One very low-tech way to do this is to use a Link Table in MS Access. You insert into the Link Table and it automatically runs the data through to Oracle. A higher tech method would be to write your own ODBC program with (say) VB.

Ross Leishman
Re: uploading external files [message #241017 is a reply to message #240989] Mon, 28 May 2007 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarmenel
Getting the data into the server is one problem that I can manage afterwards. I've been looking around in the Application and set up an executable that uses SQL*Loader and the a concurrent that will use this executable. Unfortunately I'm not really sure how to point to the data or even use the executable correctly with SQL*Loader. Do you know where I could get hold of the user manual or something for this. Googling comes back empty handed on my searches.
Re: uploading external files [message #241023 is a reply to message #241017] Mon, 28 May 2007 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
All Oracle-related documentation can be found on Oracle Technology Network; SQL*Loader is described here.
Re: uploading external files [message #241077 is a reply to message #240977] Mon, 28 May 2007 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarmenel
I've seen the documentation that you posted but this is more for command line driven excution of the SQL*Loader. there is an option to use the SQL*Loader as an execution method from the E-Biz application. I have postd the topic there but no replies. I found the relevant documentation in the Application Developer's User Guide but this is the only thing it says:
Quote:
For SQL*Loader programs, the concurrent manager runs SQLLOAD on
the control file specified on the Concurrent Program Executable form.
If your program produces report output, you can define your program
to have the concurrent manager automatically print the report output
file after your program completes.
You can either supply information about the data file in the control file,
or pass the full directory path and file name of your data file as an
argument. The concurrent manager passes the ”data=(full pathname of
data file)” token at request run time. Without a data file name, the
concurrent manager skips that token and SQL*Loader uses the data file
name specified in the control file.
If you port your application to a different operating or hardware
system, check the directory and file name of your data file and change
the value of your program argument if necessary.

Really not sure what to do because I'm stuck and can't get instructions anywhere on how to actually use this feature. Please let me know if you have any idea's on how i can get more information on this feature.
Re: uploading external files [message #241098 is a reply to message #241077] Mon, 28 May 2007 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I've seen the documentation that you posted but this is more for command line driven excution of the SQL*Loader. there is an option to use the SQL*Loader as an execution method from the E-Biz application. I have postd the topic there but no replies.

You don't have an answer to your actual question and so post another question and are surprised that the answer does not suit your first question.
If we didn't answer the first and real question maybe we don't have the answer but I think you just waste our time to post that way.

Post it in the correct forum.

Regards
Michel
Re: uploading external files [message #241120 is a reply to message #241098] Mon, 28 May 2007 07:02 Go to previous message
tarmenel
Look I apologize for not posting in the right forum, I only realized afterwards that it was in the incorrect forum and there I didn't find the move-to-other-forum button. As for the problem I seemed i found that the problem lay in the ctl file itself. I had put a semi-colon at the end of the file, incorrect as well as the line skip = 1 which skipped the first line and as i only had one line in my first file it was causing it to miss the data.

Michel, people make mistakes all the time and I see that you give bat to every new user that posts something on the forum. Back off a bit, not everyone was born a genius like yourself
Previous Topic: how to attach responsibility to an operating unit
Next Topic: REPORT OUTPUT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 10:54:34 CDT 2024