Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Import export utility
Import export utility [message #221122] Sat, 24 February 2007 01:10 Go to next message
hanumanth
Does anyone know how import/export utility internally works? And how does it use the temporary tablespaces during the operation?
Re: Import export utility [message #221128 is a reply to message #221122] Sat, 24 February 2007 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Why? Why would you be interested in knowing how these utilities work under the hood?
The reason I ask is that all too often people start fixing a problem, thinking their 'solution' is THE way and get deeper and deeper into problems.
If they would explain the original problem instead of the 'solution', other people can think up alternatives.

So, maybe if you would explain what it is you are trying to accomplish and where you fail, we could help you out.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 February 2007 02:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Import export utility [message #221162 is a reply to message #221128] Sat, 24 February 2007 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hanumanth
I had noticed in our environment, whenever importing is finished for a database(dump size 2GB), temporary tablespace was growing huge, so why i wanted to know that, whether import/export utilities use temporary segements, if yes why do they use temporary segments..
Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks in advance,
Hanu
Re: Import export utility [message #221166 is a reply to message #221162] Sat, 24 February 2007 11:10 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Export/Import work logically.
During export, the ddl is extracted and data is dumped into a proprietory format.
During import, the objects are created and data is loaded again.
It is no different than a usual database process (create table/create constraint/insert data/build indexes).
>> if yes why do they use temporary segments..
You must be using the default options to import (indexes=y).
Creation of certain objects needs temp segments to do sorting.
Previous Topic: sqlldr: Load data with timestamp datatype
Next Topic: SQLLDR bad file due to special characters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 19:58:37 CDT 2024