Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » What does the Buffer imply in the Import and Export ?
What does the Buffer imply in the Import and Export ? [message #192390] Tue, 12 September 2006 02:44 Go to next message
amkotz
Hi,

I am trying to import a dump file of total around 5 Gb.
In the import statement i have given buffer = 100000000

But it is very slow. It is importing the objects , but it is taking more than 15 hours to import. Normally it takes around 4 hours.

Comapring with the previous imports i have only increased the Buffer size. What may be the problem ?

Does the space availability on the local drives hamper the operation. ?

Thanks ,
Amkotz
Re: What does the Buffer imply in the Import and Export ? [message #192406 is a reply to message #192390] Tue, 12 September 2006 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> buffer = 100000000
This is way too high and will slow down your export.
reduce several of those trailing zeroes.
quoting documentation
Default: operating system-dependent. See your Oracle operating system-specific documentation to determine the default value for this parameter.

Specifies the size, in bytes, of the buffer used to fetch rows. As a result, this parameter determines the maximum number of rows in an array fetched by Export. Use the following formula to calculate the buffer size:

buffer_size = rows_in_array * maximum_row_size

If you specify zero, the Export utility fetches only one row at a time.
Re: What does the Buffer imply in the Import and Export ? [message #192422 is a reply to message #192406] Tue, 12 September 2006 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amkotz
Hi,

Where do i found the parameters:

rows_in_array
maximum_row_size

Thanks,
Amkotz
Re: What does the Buffer imply in the Import and Export ? [message #192447 is a reply to message #192422] Tue, 12 September 2006 07:42 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
In documentation?
or
google?
just reduce the buffer value. you will see the difference.
Read the utilities manual.
Previous Topic: loading from other applications
Next Topic: Need help in importing data from csv
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 06:58:57 CDT 2024