Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » importing dmp file
importing dmp file [message #137887] Sun, 18 September 2005 10:30 Go to next message
bes2005
Hi there!

I have worked with SQL Server for a while. Recently i was asked for some Oracle work. I have been involved in pl/sql and oracle forms but not in data transfer which sounds more as a dba task then a developers task.

I got a dmp file to import to a newly installed Oracle10g DB server. Export has been done from other people from a distant Oracle DB server and sent to us. My questions are:
1, How do i find out what version of Oracle was used to export the dmp file
2. How do i find out if the dump contains export of a full database, tablespaces, schemas or just objects of a single schema.
3. I was told that the dmp file contains three parts such as:
A.SOMETHING, B.SOMETHING AND C.SOMETHING. Does this mean these are different schemas?
4. Also the dmp file was send with a different name and i renamed it with the dmp extension, I read on a forum that renaming it might cause problems,

Anyway i tried the Data Pump utility and get the message something like invalid file and something related to being an original file.

Any suggestions will be fully appreciated.

thanx in advance

bes2005
Re: importing dmp file [message #138013 is a reply to message #137887] Mon, 19 September 2005 06:56 Go to previous message
bes2005
thanks to those who took the time to read my message. I already found the solution; dump file was created by exp in Oracle9i and i used imp utility to transfer it to Oracle10G,

who said i'm just a SQL Sever expert... Oracle expert too

I'm having a nice cup of tea right now.

good luck to everyone
Previous Topic: Organzing BLOBs for SQL*Loader
Next Topic: I want to invoke sql*loader in my C/C++ program, but don't use the command-line,how can i do?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 21:55:27 CDT 2024