Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » best way to refresh database on oracle 8.0.6 from export file
best way to refresh database on oracle 8.0.6 from export file [message #133155] Wed, 17 August 2005 20:32 Go to next message
Natraj
Hi,
I have a production database running on windows . it is oracle 8.0.6. we have a export backup of production database. i had created a new database from this production database withs ame name and data files as the production database. now the production database will be shut down and i need to refresh the new database i created some 10 days back with all the changes that has happened during the last 10 days. we have just the export back up of production database. tell me the best possible value to refresh the test database. doing import with ignore=y will cause duplication. should i drop all the users in the new test database and do a import again? this is the best thing i can think of, also i plan to recreate the indexes rather than importing. the database size is 15GB and we need to minimise downtime. Let me know the best steps
Cheers
raj
Re: best way to refresh database on oracle 8.0.6 from export file [message #133290 is a reply to message #133155] Thu, 18 August 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
With export/import you cannot just pick the changed records.
All you can do is take a complete fresh export from prod.
Drop all tablese in test.
import all prod data to test.
or
you can use materialized views to refresh data from production to test and downtime will be minimal.
or
Since you can afford to shutdown the production database, you can just do a cold-copy.
issue a controlfile backup to trace;
SHutdown production.
copy all the datafiles,redologfiles, controlfiles,init.ora everything to a new location.
Edit the traced controlfile to reflect the changes in path.
Build a new controlfile ( database).

Oracle 8.0.6 is very old version.
Migrate to 10g ( atleast 9i) where you can make use much newer concepts like CDC ( change data capture), where you can capture only the data that is changed and throw it in a test database.
or
USE advanced RMAN duplication techniques ( RMAN can still duplicate with 8.0.6).
Re: best way to refresh database on oracle 8.0.6 from export file [message #133362 is a reply to message #133290] Thu, 18 August 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Natraj
since i have already created a test database one week back and imported and created a copy of the production database and it worked fine, our application owners wanted to follow the same path of export/import,
if i recreate the new database by taking a cold backup of the files of production database. i will need to blow up the old test database, and recreate the control file, change the paths etc.
since we will be mostly doing import
if i want to just do a complete import, should i use
drop user username cascade;
i will drop all the users(excluding sys and system which cannot be dropped)in that case i will have to export each and every schema seperately isn't it? or is there a way of importing just the users schema from a full export dump?if i do a import of the full export dump, by saying ignore=y i guess we will have duplicate rows.
my question is with export/import with a complete dump of the database how should i import so that the prior data does not have duplicate entries.
you are right 8.0.6 is old.we need to upgrade it.
Re: best way to refresh database on oracle 8.0.6 from export file [message #133363 is a reply to message #133362] Thu, 18 August 2005 11:41 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Take one full export.
You can import schema by schema

imp dba/passs@test fromuser=scott touser=scott.

>>if i do a import of the full export dump, by saying ignore=y i guess we will have duplicate rows.
If you have already removed the users/table data, why would you get duplicate records?
So,
take full export from source.
remove all tables in target schema.
import one schema at a time.
Previous Topic: Trimming spaces in SQL Loader
Next Topic: exp-00024 on Oracle v7.3 database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 06:20:59 CDT 2024