Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field
icon9.gif  "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132291] Thu, 11 August 2005 14:24 Go to next message
pswathi26@rediffmail.com
Hello,

I am trying to import data from a txt file into oracle using sql*loader. After i execute the sqlldr with the control file and oracle username/password, i am getting an error which I am able to see in the log file as

"field in datafile exceeds maximum length"

I am getting the above error for a field ID and datatype is NUMBER.My data in that field does not contain more than 4 digit numbers. I have specified my table structure in oracle as ID
number(19,0).However, when I am trying to load the datafile into oracle I am getting this error

"field in datafile exceeds maximum length"

Please help.

Thanks

Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132293 is a reply to message #132291] Thu, 11 August 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
use positional load.
or
in control file , specify a maximum length for characters.
like this. ( use CHAR(maxallowedlength) even if the column is defined as number )

(c1,
c2,
c3 char(4)
)
Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132295 is a reply to message #132291] Thu, 11 August 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pswathi26@rediffmail.com
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for the help. It worked. Now, I have an other problem. I have a field called MEMBER_ID which is of type varchar. As per the data that I have I don't have any null values in that particular column. However I am getting this error while I am trying to load the data into oracle

"column not found before end of record(use TRAILING NULLCOLS)"

I am not sure what this error means and what I should do to overcome this problem.

Can you help me..I appreciate your help

Thanks
Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132296 is a reply to message #132295] Thu, 11 August 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
the error is self-explantory.
add something like this in control file (assuming your delimiter/terminator is a comma)

FIELDS TERMINATED BY "," trailing nullcols
Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132299 is a reply to message #132291] Thu, 11 August 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pswathi26@rediffmail.com
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks.It worked.

Sorry to bother you, but I have an other problem regarding my first post on this particular topic, I changed the datatype of the field ID to CHAR(2000) from NUMBER.

However, now I am getting the error

Rejected - error on table xyz, column ID
ora-01722:invalid number

I searched for this error on web, and It has to do with the datatype. So what should I do now? If I change it back to number, I get the previous error "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" and if I don't change then I am getting "invalid number"

Please help!!

Thanks
Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132307 is a reply to message #132299] Thu, 11 August 2005 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
post your table ddl,
sample data
and your control file
Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132580 is a reply to message #132291] Sun, 14 August 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pswathi26@rediffmail.com
Hi Mahesh,

The process that I followes is:

1. I imported a table called AQUALIFIER into ACCESS whose table structures are given below

The table structure in oracle used to import into access and also to import data from a text file:

AQUALIFIER:

ID NUMBER(19,0)
M_ID VARCHAR2(255)
PERF_IN NUMBER(10,0)
DIM_ID VARCHAR2(255)
PERF_LINE NUMBER(19,0)
Q_ID NUMBER(19,0)
Q_INDEX NUMBER(10,0)

The access table that I am using to export data into a text file is given below

AQUALIFIER:

ID NUMBER(19,0)--DECIMAL
M_ID TEXT(255)
PERF_IN NUMBER(10,0)--DECIMAL
DIM_ID TEXT(255)
PERF_LINE NUMBER(19,0)--DECIMAL
Q_ID NUMBER(19,0)--DECIMAL
Q_INDEX NUMBER(10,0)--DECIMAL

2. I exported the data in Access into a text file which is attached to this post.Since the Access table structures has decimal in the field size property I used the sprcified format to export into the text file.

3. Then from this text file, I am trying to import data into oracle which the same above table structure(first structure )

The control file that I am using for the sql*loader is given below

LOAD DATA
INFILE 'AQUALIFIER.TXT'
BADFILE 'AQUALIFIER.BAD'
INSERT INTO TABLE AQUALIFIER
fields terminated by ',' optionally enclosed by '"' trailing nullcols
(ID, M_ID, PERF_INDEX, DIM_ID, PERF_LINE, Q_ID,Q_INDEX)

Please let me know if I did anything wrong.

Thanks once again

Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132586 is a reply to message #132580] Mon, 15 August 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
You do not have any commas or double quotes, so you should not be using:

fields terminated by ',' optionally enclosed by '"'

Your enclosing characcter is | so you should be using:

fields terminated by whitespace optionally enclosed by '|'

You also need to add a when clause to only load the rows that begin with | and not the rows of hyphens.

You have also used perf_index in your control file, but you have perf_in in your table.

So, your corrected SQL*Loader control file would be:

LOAD DATA
INFILE 'AQUALIFIER.TXT'
BADFILE 'AQUALIFIER.BAD'
WHEN 1:1 = '|'
(ID, M_ID, PERF_IN, DIM_ID, PERF_LINE, Q_ID,Q_INDEX)
icon3.gif  Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #132604 is a reply to message #132586] Mon, 15 August 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a_mir_ahsan

Barbara Boehmer wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 00:03

You do not have any commas or double quotes, so you should not be using:

fields terminated by ',' optionally enclosed by '"'

Your enclosing characcter is | so you should be using:

You also need to add a when clause to only load the rows that begin with | and not the rows of hyphens.

You have also used perf_index in your control file, but you have perf_in in your table.

So, your corrected SQL*Loader control file would be:

LOAD DATA
INFILE 'AQUALIFIER.TXT'
BADFILE 'AQUALIFIER.BAD'
WHEN 1:1 = '|'
(ID, M_ID, PERF_IN, DIM_ID, PERF_LINE, Q_ID,Q_INDEX)

:x
Re: "field in datafile exceeds maximum length" for number field [message #136179 is a reply to message #132291] Tue, 06 September 2005 09:22 Go to previous message
arrufus

The problem occurs because the default size for sqlldr is char(255). Find the column(s) you suspect might be very large and specify in the ctl file

COL1 CHAR(500) NULLIF COL1=BLANKS,
COL2 CHAR(500) NULLIF COL2=BLANKS,

where COL1 and COL2 are the columns that are wider than the default 255 xters.

Hope this works.

Previous Topic: SQL Loader ---One record is missed
Next Topic: Problem with tablespace at the time of import
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 22:51:35 CDT 2024