Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » is there a way to script a schema without toad??
is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130413] Fri, 29 July 2005 20:18 Go to next message
gdeconto
being fairly new to oracle, I have been using the free version of toad to work with oracle.

that version does not have a facility for scripting the schema (ie tables, views, stored procedures, functions, sequences, triggers, ...) to a text file.

is there an alternative (that is still free) to toad for this??

any help appreciated.
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130430 is a reply to message #130413] Sat, 30 July 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
extracting the ddl would be the right term.
How about some oracle native methods?
1. use take an export ( with rows=n. Just the strucuture of schema).
import with show=y and logfile=somelogfile.log.
somelogifle.log will have all the DDL.
2. Use DBMS_METADATA.
and
some googling came with
http://www.ddlwizard.com/
http://www.scriptextractor.boom.ru/
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130445 is a reply to message #130430] Sat, 30 July 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gdeconto
thx for the reply.

tried ddlwizard but it doesnt handle dmp files with data (unfortunate). and am somewhat leery of downloading from .ru sites

what do you mean by DBMS_METADATA?? as I said, I am fairly new to oracle.
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130446 is a reply to message #130445] Sat, 30 July 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
See the PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference.
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130447 is a reply to message #130446] Sat, 30 July 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gdeconto
thx for the info

[rant about how hard it is to do so many things in oracle was to go here but just dont have the energy this morning]
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130448 is a reply to message #130447] Sat, 30 July 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
all you need to do is to search this site or google.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/26854/0/
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/21773/0/
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/22316/0/
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/20862/0/
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130455 is a reply to message #130447] Sat, 30 July 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
Quote:

[rant about how hard it is to do so many things in oracle was to go here but just dont have the energy this morning]

It seems Oracle have provided a tool to do exactly what you want. What would the less-hard solution look like?
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130458 is a reply to message #130455] Sat, 30 July 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gdeconto
off the top of my head:

since I am looking for a simple means of generating a text script(s) of any/all object(s) in a given schema, how about a simple tool to do exactly that??

ie: a menu entry in Enterprise Manager, in the Tools | Database Tools area, where you specify the schema and specify (via checkboxes) which objects in which schema that you want to create a script for ... and then creates a text file (your choice of name and location) that contains the script(s).

there are other products (toad, mssql, mysql, ...) that do this sort of thing right now. must mean that it is not that hard to do.

mind you, a better suggestion to Oracle might be to buy out Toadsoft and make toad a default part of the oracle installation. I get the impression that lots of people are using that product with oracle, so why not make things simpler for everyone??

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 14:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130487 is a reply to message #130458] Sun, 31 July 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
Ah, "simple" = "GUI" Wink

I've been meaning to install OEM for a while but haven't got around to it yet. Also I prefer PL/SQL Developer to TOAD and luckily my current employers agree (well, I think they actually prefer the price) so we don't have TOAD around. It can generate DDL but for anything serious I would trust DBMS_METADATA more - you never know what new Oracle feature is not fully supported by third party tools. For example, try it on an external table, or a list-partitioned index-organized materialized view and see what it produces.

Another approach might be to perform an export without data, then either import using the indexfile option or just strip the text out of the .dmp file.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2005 06:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130491 is a reply to message #130458] Sun, 31 July 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
gdeconto,

I don't understand what your problem is.
Have you atleast tried any of the options we suggested?

You can buy toad or any tool that does the job for you.
We are just suggesting the native methods that are free and doesnt need my configuration ( show=y, indexfile or dbms_metadata).
If you want to do some configurations you can always go for OEM or HTMLDB (with one click you generate the DDL of the whole schmea) to generate the script.

If you are unhappy with some functionality with oracle tools, you can log an improvement request to them. But in any forum like this, all we can do is to Suggest.

Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #130494 is a reply to message #130487] Sun, 31 July 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gdeconto
Thx for the replies, Will.

Hadn't seen PL/SQL Developer (too many things to do, too many tools, etc), but it looks interesting. I will download and try it out.

The answer to my original question appears to be "yes, you can use dbms_metadata if you only have a couple of objects to script, but no otherwise".
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #131229 is a reply to message #130413] Thu, 04 August 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joeancell
Try AgileInfoSoftware DataStudio (http://www.agileinfollc.com)

Joean
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #131233 is a reply to message #131229] Thu, 04 August 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gdeconto
thx. looks interesting.
Re: is there a way to script a schema without toad?? [message #131446 is a reply to message #130413] Sat, 06 August 2005 07:22 Go to previous message
oraclejo
Oracle Designer

You can use it to create meta data information.
It creates scripts to build your database.
You can as well reverse engineer and existing database modify it and regenerate the scripts.

this is the way we do team development

Ammar Sajdi

www.e-ammar.com

Ammar
Previous Topic: Import giving error
Next Topic: sqlldr loading multiple lines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 06:49:24 CDT 2024