Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Import/Export
Import/Export [message #119431] Thu, 12 May 2005 09:39 Go to next message
Ricky_newbie
Hi,
I get table already exists error while importing a schema.
I know table exists, and table consists of some data. Can any one tell me if data will be imported or not?

Let me give an example:

I am importing from schema B to schema A. Schema A has some tables and some data, when i import i get error because i did not give Ignore=y. In such case it will give an error that table already exists. Now after that, does import inserts data into the existing table or it just skips?

Thanks,
Rick
Re: Import/Export [message #119435 is a reply to message #119431] Thu, 12 May 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
As per the Utilities Users Guide:

"If a table already exists and IGNORE=y, then rows are imported into existing tables without any errors or messages being given. You might want to import data into tables that already exist in order to use new storage parameters or because you have already created the table in a cluster.

If a table already exists and IGNORE=n, then errors are reported and the table is skipped with no rows inserted. Also, objects dependent on tables, such as indexes, grants, and constraints, will not be created."

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Import/Export [message #119438 is a reply to message #119435] Thu, 12 May 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricky_newbie
Thanks Frank. Its clear now.

Editing: Frank i guess when you said "If a table already exists and IGNORE=y, then rows are imported into existing tables". Does that mean it Apprends the Data or Refreshes the data? It should be appending, correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Rick

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Import/Export [message #119446 is a reply to message #119438] Thu, 12 May 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
When ignore=y during import,
if oracle find the object already exist, it will NOT COMPLAIN about it.
The records are appended.
Re: Import/Export [message #119450 is a reply to message #119431] Thu, 12 May 2005 10:51 Go to previous message
Ricky_newbie
Thanks Mahesh Cool
Previous Topic: SQL*Loader !!! New to ME !!!
Next Topic: SQL Loader crash when called many times
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 05:33:17 CDT 2024