Home » Other » Community Hangout » TEXT MESSAGES AND BROWSER SESSIONS AND VERIFICATION NUMBERS
TEXT MESSAGES AND BROWSER SESSIONS AND VERIFICATION NUMBERS [message #690085] Sun, 06 October 2024 12:07 Go to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Howdy folks,

I have a problem that probably any kid familiar with modern day communications could answer, but I can't seem to figure it out.  When I get a text message on my phone with a link, click on the link, and am required to login, as part of the login process, it sends me a numeric verification code in another text message.  I can't figure out how to get to that new message to retrieve the verification code without losing the browser session.  So, after getting the verification code, I go back to the original text message, click on the link again, but instead of being where I left off, I have to start over and it sends a new verification code in another text message, so I am in an endless loop.

The above is general info.  Here are the details.  Last night I realized that I am about to run out of dry cat food.  I have been sick since Wednesday morning, so I don't want to go to a store.  For a long time, I have been able to order overnight or at least next day delivery through Amazon Prime of a variety of dry cat foods and other things.  Unfortunately, I found that they did not have any brand of dry cat food available overnight or next day.  The soonest was two-day which would likely be too late.  However, I found that the new Amazon Fresh had one 16-pound bag of dry cat food available, so I ordered that.  I also ordered a few individual snack packs of some Hillshire Farms salami and cheese and little round toasted things like crackers in order to meet the minimum for free shipping.  I figured they would be convenient cool things for the remaining days of heat wave, smoke from the nearby forest fire, and being sick.  

This morning I received a text message from Amazon saying they are out of one item and need to hear from me regarding approving or rejecting a substitute.  So, I clicked on the link in the text message on my phone, typed in my email, entered my password, and it said it sent a verification code to my phone.  Once I got that verification number I had to start all over.  I could not find a way to get back to where I left off on the login screen from the link in the original email.  I tried checking the manual for my Kyocera DuraXV Extreme phone:

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Catalog%20Assets/Devices/Kyocera/Kyocera_DuraXV_Extreme/UG/kyocera-duraxv-extreme-0410 2020-userguide-eng.pdf

I checked the table of contents, the index, and the browser section, but still could not figure it out.  I tried to find a way to access it through the Amazon website directly.  I don't know if that would have worked if I had tried it in time, but I eventually found that it went ahead with the substitution since I had not responded.  I was relieved to find that it had not substituted dog food for cat food or anything like that.  It was just a different variety of the Hillshire Farms stuff with a different kind of cheese that I probably wouldn't even have noticed it they hadn't told me.  It should arrive within the next two hours, so the immediate problem today is solved.  However, I have had similar problems with other verifications processes and asking it to send it to my email so that I can read it on my computer doesn't get that done.  So, I would still like to find out how to do this easily for next time.

I suppose I may end up having to search for some Verizon wireless forum or Kyocera phone forum or some such thing.  I try to avoid having to call a live support person because it usually results in being on hold for a while and between accents and my trouble hearing, I have difficulty understanding what people are saying and would rather read typed words.  So, I thought I would check with you folks here first.

Barbara

Re: TEXT MESSAGES AND BROWSER SESSIONS AND VERIFICATION NUMBERS [message #690087 is a reply to message #690085] Mon, 07 October 2024 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I have a problem that probably any kid familiar with modern day communications could answer
I don't think so. If it were a smartphone, then yes. But, your mobile phone seems to be outfashioned for at least a decade. Kids wouldn't know what to do with it. Similarly, kids wouldn't steal your manual gearbox car because they simply don't know how to start driving.

I reviewed User Guide you posted, hoping that it contains info which explains how to switch between open applications. That's an easy task on any smartphone; a single touch lets you scroll through applications (something similar to ALT + TAB on a PC). Your phone doesn't have that functionality - or, at least, I was unable to find it.

Google returned two links about people asking how to easily switch between applications - no answers. However, this Reddit discussion (https://www.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/comments/vqdgba/is_it_possible_to_run_apps_in_the_background_on/) says:

Quote:
I found an even better way! Using button mapper, I've completely transformed the phone. I've mapped the SOS button so one click goes home without ending the current activity, two clicks is the menu button, hold opens recent apps.
I'm not sure what "button mapper" is; can you find it on your phone? If not, they said something about "downloading and installing applications", but I don't know how to do that on your phone. So, if you could make the "button mapper" working, perhaps you could set the shortcut key which lets you return to browser which is already open.

~ o ~

If it doesn't work, does text message have an option which lets you "forward" that message to someone - hopefully, to your own e-mail address? If so, you could send the link (from the 1st text message) to your e-mail, open it on PC, do whatever you're doing and - once the 2nd text message arrives - type that code into the browser opened on your PC.

~ o ~

If not, is there an option which lets you select contents of the text message and copy it into phone's clipboard? Then you could open e-mail application on the phone, paste clipboard contents and send it to you. You'd open it on your PC and ... well, do what I described in previous paragraph.

~ o ~

If not, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I'd ask why don't you use a smartphone?, but you probably have your reasons (and so does my dad).
Re: TEXT MESSAGES AND BROWSER SESSIONS AND VERIFICATION NUMBERS [message #690088 is a reply to message #690087] Mon, 07 October 2024 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
This can be a pain even with a smartphone. While my browser session is supposed to keep running it doesn't always. So long is I can pick up the code from the notifications (which can always be viewed without closing the current app) I don't have a problem, but if the code isn't readable on the notification (since it doesn't show the full message), or if I accidently clear the notification, then I have to go into the message app, and when I do that I sometimes lose my session.
TBH when I know that situation is coming up I generally try to access the site in question on a device other than my phone (laptop or tablet), that's by far the safest way to avoid the problem.
Of course if the link you're using came in a text in the first place then you've got the issue of getting the link to the other device - LF mentioned possible approaches for this above.

Note: my phone is an android device.
Re: TEXT MESSAGES AND BROWSER SESSIONS AND VERIFICATION NUMBERS [message #690089 is a reply to message #690085] Mon, 07 October 2024 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The others are probably correct - you may well need a smart phone to do that sort of thing. I do have one, and I hate it. I had to get the thing because so much of my work requires logging into environments that require multifactor authentication. In practice, MFA means you have use a cell phone. And if your cell phone is stuffed, then so are you. I try to do as much as possible on a PC, but a smart phone has proved unavoidable.

You can probably get a smart phone pretty cheap if you buy SIM-free, the one I bought two months ago was a TCL 501 for £50.99, and my service contract is £7 a month. Don't make the mistake of signing up for a contract that gives you a "free" smart phone! If the service providers in the US work the same way they do here, it ain't free at all. It is a phenomenally expensive finance deal.

I have long believed that whoever invented smart phones should be consigned to a special place in hell. Along with the people who invented "social media".
Re: TEXT MESSAGES AND BROWSER SESSIONS AND VERIFICATION NUMBERS [message #690090 is a reply to message #690089] Mon, 07 October 2024 11:07 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
Thank you all for your replies.  This is the suggestion from Littlefoot that is working for me:

Quote:

If it doesn't work, does text message have an option which lets you "forward" that message to someone - hopefully, to your own e-mail address? If so, you could send the link (from the 1st text message) to your e-mail, open it on PC, do whatever you're doing and - once the 2nd text message arrives - type that code into the browser opened on your PC.

It does not forward a clickable link, but I can easily copy and paste the link from the email attachment of the forwarded text message.  There may be a better way but this will do for now.  I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one that has troubles with these things.  I thought I was just becoming an old dinosaur.

Barbara
Previous Topic: MICROWAVE WOES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 15 19:21:11 CDT 2024