Nested sort

From: Bob Stearns <rstearns1241_at_charter.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:00:45 -0400

I have a table (see below for ddl) which implements a set of locations for an organization, from the whole organization to shelves in a particular room. Users never see the primary key, only the NAMEX, usually as a drop down selection list, sometimes a single selection other times a multiselection. Users, being users, want the ability to change names and to see the names in sorted order at each level. If I didn't have to have changeable names, I could define the data in alphabetic order. Given that I can't do that, is there (relatively) easy way to present the data in a sorted manner?

CREATE TABLE IS3.LOCATIONS (
     LOC_ID INTEGER GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY (START WITH 1, INCREMENT BY 1, CACHE 20) NOT NULL,

     NAMEX    	VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL,
     LEFTX    	INTEGER NOT NULL,
     RIGHTX   	INTEGER NOT NULL,
     ENTITY_ID	INTEGER NOT NULL,
     INACTIVE 	CHARACTER(25),
     PRIMARY KEY(LOC_ID)

)
GO
ALTER TABLE IS3.LOCATIONS
     ADD CONSTRAINT INACTIVE
	CHECK (INACTIVE in ('Y','N'))

GO
ALTER TABLE IS3.LOCATIONS
     ADD CONSTRAINT SQL040717191150980
	FOREIGN KEY(ENTITY_ID)
	REFERENCES IS3.ENTITIES_PUB(ENTITY_ID)
	ON DELETE NO ACTION
	ON UPDATE NO ACTION

GO Received on Thu Sep 29 2005 - 00:00:45 CEST

Original text of this message