Re: 3NF question

From: vldm10 <vldm10_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2005 15:46:48 -0800

> I disagree. A person table might have a person_id that uniquely
> identifies that person within a specific application.
> But a column named ID has no place in any set.

This is not necessarily true. There are first three steps in designing db applications and solutions: 1. Analysis; 2. Conceptual model; 3. Relational model (or other DB models)
It is not necessary to set column-name rules from Relational Model in step 1 as a must (especially not during setting the problems, first meetings, interviewing, intended model etc). So as the begging of the 1st step we have Elves's interpretation of the problem. His use of the name ID in that sense is OK. You jumped directly to 3rd step skipping the first two steps and demanding Relational Model terminology.

Vladimir Odrljin Received on Tue Jan 11 2005 - 00:46:48 CET

Original text of this message