Re: Looking for tools that is better than sqlplus.. please help

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:54:25 GMT

Brian Peasey wrote:

> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>
> > But I'd like to urge you to forget it and learn SQL*Plus. The fact is that
> > if you don't know SQL*Plus and know how to do everything in it you are
 very
> > close to unemployable ... at least in any shop where I've ever been. The
> > GUIs are not just pretty ... they don't just hide the command line ...
 they
> > hide the commands and the learning.
> >
> > After six to twelve months ... then ask the question again. Looking back
> > you'll be glad you did.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm using SQL/PLUS in my current job as a PowerBuilder programmer. We
> recently switched databases from Sybase to Oracle8i. Our product is for the
> Windows market. Last month I purchased "SQL/Plus the Definitive Guide" and
> have learned alot really usefull stuff, way beyond just editing SQL
> statements.
>
> Here's my 2 questions:
>
> 1. Any idea what percentage of Oracle databases are installed on Windows(as
> opposed to Unix)?
> 2. If I change to a Unix shop w/Oracle will I need to know the SQL/PLUS line
> edit commands(Up till now I've skipped them and use notepad as my editor.)?
>
> Thanks for you help Daniel.
>
> Brian

  1. I have no idea what percentage are on Windows. But I work with WinNT, Win2000, Solaris, and HP/UX.
  2. SQL*Plus is identical in all Oracle environments: Windows, all flavors of UNIX, MVS, VMS, etc. One of the real advantages in learning it is that you become platform and operating system independent. You can take any Oracle job anywhere.

Well that and when the tool isn't available or the network is down you can still be productive.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:54:25 CEST

Original text of this message