Increasing Size of SGA_MAX in Oracle 10G

From: <navneel.singh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 19:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi People,

I am running an Oracle 10G clustered database with ASM hosted on a SAM system. There are two instances accessing the DB from two different machines at any given point of time. Now my question is how do we change the parameter value of SGA_MAX_SIZE in such an environment. I tried the following and i got the stated error msg

SQL> create pfile from spfile;

File created.

SQL> alter system set sga_max_size=4000m scop=spfile; alter system set sga_max_size=4000m scop=spfile

                 *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02095: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified

Now I had also tried the very same thing on another machine hosting the same Oracle 10G DB but with a single instance and without ASM and it worked perfectly. Is there a reason why the above may have failed or any work arounds to this, thought to seek some advice before i start playing with a prod machine :-)

Thanks. Received on Sun Apr 26 2009 - 21:55:10 CDT

Original text of this message