Re: Speculations on oracle buying sun

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:00:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 22, 11:39 am, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

snip

> Well here is what the President of Oracle himself says about it...
>
> <quote>
> Oracle's ownership of two key Sun software assets, Java and Solaris, is
> expected to provide our customers with significant benefit. Java is one
> of the computer industry's best known brands and most widely deployed
> technologies. Oracle Fusion Middleware is built on top of Sun's Java
> language and software. Oracle can now ensure continued innovation and
> investment in Java technology for the benefit of customers and the Java
> community.
>
> The Sun Solaris operating system is the leading platform for the Oracle
> database. With the acquisition of Sun, Oracle can optimize the Oracle
> database for some of the unique, high-end features of Solaris. Oracle is
> as committed as ever to Linux and other open platforms, and will
> continue to support and enhance our strong industry partnerships.
> <unquote>
>
> So according to Mr. Charles Phillips, it's all about Java and Sun Solaris!
> Especially, this quoute surprises me:
>
> "The Sun Solaris operating system is the leading platform for the Oracle
> database".
>
> Shakespeare

I just finished listening to the conference call ( announcement of the deal ) that included Larry, Scott, Charles, Jonathan etc.

Every single time they mentioned solaris ( and there were several references ... five or six maybe ) it was always specifically "solaris sparc" ... "solaris sparc" ( or maybe "sparc solaris" ).

I never heard solaris without the sparc word.

Since oracle's commitment to solaris x86 has been interesting to say the least ... I do not see any good news for the solaris x86 people at this time.

Only time will tell apparently. Received on Wed Apr 22 2009 - 14:00:39 CDT

Original text of this message