Re: Any chance to surpass 4000 character limit?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:13:35 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 27, 12:14 am, stegem..._at_naviga.de wrote:
> On 26 Jan., 18:48, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>
> > Amazing how many times I've heard this, and it has turned out to be
> > wrong.
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> our applications are created for German government and administration.
> The chance that German government and administration procedures ever
> might be adopted by any other administration in the world are zero,
> believe me.

Funny, that's almost exactly the wording I was told in one place, just substitute US military for German government. Not long before they had to deal with NATO part descriptions... :-)

But Vladimir told the real reason, namely, you will likely be dealing with fundamental character set changes over the life of the database. There's always going to be tradeoffs in implementation, we're just trying to help you avoid some of the bigger pitfalls many of us have run into.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/27/1b27power21339-agencies-challenge-sdgampe-cutoff-p/?uniontrib