Re: Upgrade Plan

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:14:41 -0600

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:23:28 -0800, hpuxrac wrote:
>
>> Don't see anything wrong with my advice but yes certainly it should be
>> part of a test plan for the whole upgrade.

> John, you misunderstood me. The OP should test before he upgrades.
> Asking such questions is ridiculous. What shall he tell his boss,
> should there be problems? Will he try to justify the situation by
> saying that John Hurley wasn't helpful enough? I was surprised by
> his question. He should test it. Take another HP-UX machine, resembling
> the target machine as closely as possible and test, test, test.

Totally agree with the TEST TEST TEST!! The 9iRAC/VCS is a bit more tricky. I have yet to see an upgrade to any dot release of 9iRAC that went well the first time. Others may have, I have not, but that is what test environments are for!!!! You really SHOULD consider 10g as 9.2.0.8 is at EOL and the soon-to-be 10.2.0.5 release (promised later this year) is supposedly the terminal release of 10g, also, with 10g you can dump those expensive VCS licenses and use RAC/CRS only.

In most cases, if you are using CBO and no RULES-based, converting to 10g would be fairly easy. I have experienced some differences in the CBO between 9i and 10g, but no real show-stoppers as tuning is a never-ending story... Again - TEST TEST TEST. If your environment cannot afford a test environment, I would say that your company has very little regard for their "precious" data. Received on Sat Jan 17 2009 - 17:14:41 CST

Original text of this message