Re: Help required - URGENT PLS

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:52:42 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 8:09 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Charles Hooper wrote:
> > [humor on, trying to make sense of the news article]
> > Since you were unhappy with the speed at which Oracle support provided
> > emergency patches to you for your "stable systems",
>
> Where in what he quoted from me do you read that?  I am not Jeff
> Hunter.
>
> > The inclusion of the quotes on that page
> > seems to indicate that those individuals being quoted have cancelled
> > their Oracle support contracts in order to save thousands of dollars a
> > year by using a 3rd party remote DBA service.
>
> Actually, I read it as "there are folks not happy with the support
> they are paying for".
> With which I tend to agree.  From there to "they have actually dropped
> and switched" is a long leap, although of course he'd love that!  ;)
>
> > Is it the case that I just misunderstood the intent of news article?
>
> Dunno.  Define "misunderstood" first?
> (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Thanks for the conversation.

You are correct that I did not read that you dropped your support contract in favor of a third party consulting company. I unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) abused your quote in the context of the news article to make a point of the contradictions present on that page - any of the quotes present on that page would have been sufficient. Something like this is what I was trying to demonstrate through humor: not being able to receive emergency patches fast enough does not suggest one should switch to a support system for which not even non-emergency patches may be provided, regardless of whether or not thousands of dollars may be saved. I might have less egg on my face if I had just stated that, rather than attempting to read the page as a casual user of Google who just happened to land on that news page might have read it.

I state again, "Is it the case that I just misunderstood the intent of news article?"

Appologies if my ironic humor didn't quite cut it.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Wed Jan 14 2009 - 19:52:42 CST

Original text of this message