Re: Migrating to Oracle on Windows

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:21:48 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:

> goooooglegroups_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>>> If your organization has enough money to have DB2 on z/OS there is
>>> essentially no excuse for moving to Windows, definitely no excuse
>>> for looking for free software, and absolutely no excuse for passing
>>> this to someone with zero training.
>>>
>>> More information and version numbers required. Before I would offer
>>> help some assurances that this isn't just a troll. Because what you
>>> wrote above is outrageous and an absolute guarantee of failure.
>>> --
>>> Daniel A. Morgan
>>> University of Washington
>>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>>> (replace x with u to respond)
>>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The example I gave of migrating from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on Windows
>> is just one example - in general I want to be able to move a database
>> from Oracle to DB2, and vica-versa, on both Windows and z/OS.
>>
>> Even a process to move the data from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on Windows
>> would be a good start as I already have the database structure setup
>> on both, but ideally I would like to take a database on DB2 (z/OS)
>> and create a similiar one on Oracle and then copy across all the
>> data. I see Oracle have a tool
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html
>> which handles most of this, however it does not handle migrating from
>> DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on Windows, hence why I am tackling this
>> particular setup.
>>
>> The version of Oracle I am using is 10.2.0 the version of DB2 I am
>> using is 9.
>>
>> I would have thought that this would be a common thing to do and thus
>> would have a solution that was well known among the database
>> community - so I am just looking for some help\guidance.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Noel
>
> You haven't given any indication of the amount of data or the type of
> application. OLTP or DSS? Megabytes or Petabytes? You've given no
> indication of the migration windows or any other business rules. Nor
> have you indicated whether what you intend is migrating only heap
> tables or whether other object types, code, etc. are involved.
>
> The only thing you have clearly communicated is that a very large and
> financially successful organization has turned a critical task over to
> someone with zero experience: A recipe for failure.
>
> I have done what you are asking about numerous times. And it is
> relatively straight-forward. But I'll not help someone fake their
> credentials and ruin a company. You need to do far better to get help
> from me and I suspect others here are reacting the same way.
>
> Doesn't your management have a single person on the team who is
> qualified to do the work? If not hire a consultant. I could easily
> recommend one if you want and if so contact me off-line.

Given the fact that DB2 9 for z/OS GA'd only 2 months ago (March 16th), I can't believe this is a Real Life issue. Installing DB2 (or any serious software) on z/OS isn't something you can do overnight.
If the OP (or his organisation) was able to:

- order DB2 9 for z/OS
- wait for the delivery
- install it
- implement their application incl the database data on top if it
- in spite of all the costs involved so far, decided to go for Oracle/Win
- redesigned/transformed the db layout from DB2/zOS to Oracle/Win
in such a relatively short time, I can't believe they are not able to simply unload the DB2/zOS data into flat files and transform these a little so they can be used as input for a load into Oracle/Win. I would also like to see the bussiness rationale for such an outrageous move.
The only two times I have been involved in a move like this (from z/OS to Windows) were cases where the application was being phased out and there was a need to keep the data in a read-only archive for audit-like purposes. Neither of those cases required a DBMS change, i.e. one of them was DB2/zOS --> DB2/Win, the other Oracle/zOS --> Oracle/Win.
--
Jeroen